i was tagged by bianca at back to bobs
1. Post these rules
2. Post 11 random things about yourself
3. Answer the questions provided by the one who tagged you
4. Create 11 new questions for the people you tag
5. Go to their blog and tell them they’ve been tagged!
random things about me
1. i was born the day that elvis died - 16 august 1977.
2. every year or so my taste buds develop and i like something i used to hate - most recently gherkins.
3. i love swimming in deep water.
4. at the age of 14 i was an extra in the TV series 'an american werewolf in london'.
5. i have to be very drunk to get up and dance at a party.
6. i attended my niece, faye's, birth. she is almost 15!
7. my grandpa, peter west, was the first ever gillette razor man on TV. he was a rugby and cricket commentator first and foremost but also did wimbledon and hosted come dancing, miss world and a few game shows. i have recently discovered that his BBC desert island disk interview is still on-line so i'm listening to this as i type :) he died 9 years ago and we miss him dearly.
9. i have swum with sharks in mexico and thailand (knowingly) and in perth (unknowingly at the time).
10. i hate goodbyes.
11. having lived in so many cities and countries, i felt that bristol was, without question, the place i most wanted to settle. however, now, brunnen, in central switzerland, is very definitely home and i could not be happier here.
questions bianca asked me
1. If you were on Mastermind, what would your specialist subject be (what do you know heaps about)?
i would be awful on this show! something to do with childcare?!
2. Name one thing you want to do before you die.
3. What is the best gig you’ve ever been to?
girls aloud (ha!) i went with my cousin, phoebe, a few years ago and it was one of the best nights of my life. we had such a fun time and just laughed, danced and sang our hearts out.
4. What’s the weirdest thing someone’s asked you?
5. What’s your biggest regret?
doing this PhD is the answer that first springs to mind but i know that that is short term and i’ll be very happy to have done it in my life. my biggest regret is staying in a bad relationship for too long. neither of us were happy and it was only once i got out of it that i realised just how damaging it had been for me. i have learned from that experience though – to never settle for anything less than i know deep, deep down in my heart is not right for me.
6. What is your favourite book from your childhood?
this is difficult as it depends what age and there are so many. but two firm favourite authors were roald dahl and arthur ransome. i can’t wait to read those with my children. also poem anthologies by michael rosen were wonderful.
pictured above reading roald dahl's the magic finger at about 5 or 6. in my swimming costume!?
7. What’s your biggest pet-peeve?
the sound of people biting their nails (it makes me want to throw up) and people using the word ‘nom’.
8. Name one thing you’re terrible at.
mental arithmetic. i just cannot do it to save my life! i often have to count out loud and on my fingers. thank goodness for calculators. i got an A in maths GSCE but only because a tutor trained me to pass & i promptly forgot everything i know (which i’m prone to doing whatever the subject!). i often wish i was better at maths given that it would help a lot with my knitting when amending and designing patterns.
9. when you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
a teacher. i used to arrange all my toys in a classroom set up, take the register (my absolute favourite thing to do) and would even put those animals who were going home for lunch in a cupboard for an hour. i just loved being organised and still love that now.
10. do you have any phobias and, if so, what are they?
i get very claustrophobic. i used to suffer from crippling anxiety attacks so any situation where a room is crammed full of people and i can’t easily get out will get me pretty stressed.
11. Name one guilty pleasure.
eating my body weight in pasta.
bloggers i tag
lottie, if you want to keep your blog food focussed, you're welcome to guest post here on my blog x
to those who i've tagged, please don't feel you have to do this just if you think it's a bit of fun!
1. what achievement are you most proud of to date?
2. what is your current obsession?
3. what makes you belly laugh?
4. what is the thing you cook best?
5. what talent do you wish you had?
6. what is the most recent thing you've learned?
7. what is your favourite way to relax after a tough day at work?
8. where would you like to go on holiday next?
9. what is one of the hardest things you’ve ever had to do?
10. name one thing you’ve inherited from either parent.
11. what is your favourite (alcoholic) drink?